Yesterday I released the initial version of Guru. Guru is about a blind person engaging in melee combat, inspired by a game my friend is working on. I playtested Guru with Ben and Tynan and the game didn’t completely explode. Some things became apparent:
- In a 1v1 match, the guru almost always destroys the assassin. When the guru is outnumbered, the outcome is reversed.
- It’s pretty fun to work on small multiplayer games that don’t really care whether people play it.
- LAN parties need to make a comeback in a big bad way.
We played Guru for a bit and after some discussion I had a good list of things to add and change.
- Heartbeat: to better orient the guru, assassins play a heartbeat sound. The heartbeat sound is non-directional.
- Leap: the guru has a mighty forward leap (press spacebar). It can be used once every 7 seconds. Whenever the guru destroys an assassin, the guru can leap immediately.
- Throwable: the guru has one throwing axe (press e).
- Attack rate: lowered fire rate of guru axe attacks.
And finally, some fixes and tweaks:
- starting an internet server (maybe) works now.
- the default control setup for the guru rear attack was broken.
- the options menu has a volume slider.
- the “muffled footsteps behind you” is now more muffled.